Home UserCP Memberlist Register Calendar FAQ
Home

Go Back   CanadianGunslingers.com > COMMUNITY PAGE > SHOT 2010 Reviews and News
Register FAQForum Rules Mark Forums Read

SHOT 2010 Reviews and News The Shot Show is the premiere firearms expo held by the NSSF.

02-17-2010, 06:39 PM   #1
DMeNTED
Thread Pirate Roberts
Forum Info
Contact
Send a private message to DMeNTED> DMeNTED 911
iTrader Rating
Solkoa FastFire and SUMA Containers.

[off-topic: Sorry folks ... I've been fighting a nasty chest cold and haven't felt up to posting more reviews, I'll pick up the pace again next week. For now, here's a product I will be buying too add to my camping/survival gear]

I took the last day of the SHOT show to walk around without my camera and review some of the booths I had already seen - I also decided to explore an area I hadn't had the chance to see and I'm really glad I did. I came across the Fast Fire booth and was really impressed with their fire starter product.

FastFire tinder comes in a sealed package, its smokeless and odorless and it burns even when wet.

In fact, at SHOT they were lighting it and dropping it into a pan of water.

It kept burning.

Burning at 1300 degrees F (or over 700 C for us Canucks) its hot enough to ignite most everything you might want to burn (and some things you might not ) Each individual cube will burn over 10 minutes, but as they demonstrated less than a quarter cube cut up and crushed is more than enough to start a fire in most conditions.

Sadly, it being the end of the week most of the stuff they had brought was gone - I was able to score one of their tinder refill kits and it performed the same here as it did at the show (in fact I was able to light it on top of some snow out in the backyard using my sweedish firesteel).

Another great product (that I wasn't able to score - and I really tried to talk him into selling me one ) was the SUMA containers.

Machined out of billet 6061 the SUMA is an ultralight container you can use to pack your tinder kit. Its suitable for boiling water or cooking, and strong enough to use for digging in an emergency. At SHOT they had a number of anodized ones, but also had some that were done up in digital camo.

They offer a fire-starting kit with a striker for $14.95 USD, refill packs of the FastFire tinder are only $8.95 USD, and the SUMA tins are $34.95 USD.

I contacted them after getting home and asked for their Canadian distributor - the info is below.

Manufacturer:

Solkoa Inc.
3107 W. Colorado Ave. Suite 256
Colorado Springs, CO 80904
Office: 719-685-1072
Fax: 719-623-0067
Email: info@fast-fire.com

Edit: It looks like the Canadian distributor is wholesale only. However we might be able to do a group buy if people are interested. Please see here:

http://www.canadiangunslingers.com/f...d.php?p=141981

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see it stays there.
- George Orwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanml
You know those big furry spiders you find in the garage that scare the hell out of you when you move the lawn mower? Dmented puts them there.

... Thanks to all who donated to Toys for Kids! $2500 donated to Sick Kids Hospital ...

-- Newbie Links --
Infractions | Marketplace & iTrader | Forum Rules | Image Hosting Rules | How do I join the Pit?

DMeNTED is offline   Reply With Quote
02-20-2010, 11:17 PM   #2
yyyyy
Forum Info
Contact
Send a private message to yyyyy>
iTrader Rating
Look at the Spark-Lite Firestarter Flint or Blast match if it is for emergency use. I'd skip the 2 piece striker but I like the fire-starting fuel as the 2 piece striker might be difficult to use if injured, hypothermic, or one handed.

http://www.equipped.org/firestrt.htm

The plural of anecdote is not data.

yyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
10-13-2010, 01:30 AM   #3
philthygeezer
Forum Info
Contact
Send a private message to philthygeezer>
iTrader Rating
Get the red or silver container. I hate misplacing camouflaged gear. Orange flagging tape on all critical gear that isn't brightly coloured already.

philthygeezer is offline   Reply With Quote

CanadianGunslingers.com > COMMUNITY PAGE > SHOT 2010 Reviews and News